Protocol Nr. 1457

scanned image
Name: A. M.
Gender: male
Place of birth: Budapest
Date of birth: 1894
Place of residence: Budapest
Occupation: butcher apprentice
Concentration: KISOK-pálya
Camps: Buchenwald, Sonnenfeld, Kolditz, Theresienstadt

The person in question has given us the following information: On the morning of October 20, 1944 armed Arrow Cross men showed up in the building where I lived and rounded up Jewish men in only a few minutes. We had to leave for the field of the National Centre for High School Sport Clubs. From there we went to Gödöllő. In Gödöllő we were assigned to groups; I was taken to Isaszeg. The Arrow Cross plundered us completely, but they did not simply took our belongings, but meanwhile they also amused themselves. For example one of them came in and asked about the time. Somebody pulled out his watch – it was taken away. Just a few minutes later another one came in asking: “Which Jew used his flashlight?” We said that none of us, but of course two Arrow Cross men came in pointed their guns at us and collected all the flashlights. Thing like that happened every day. Moreover they kicked and beat us. One of our brothers-in-arms shaved during work hours – he was shot dead. We kept on marching toward Mogyoród and Fót. At Újpest we crossed the river and arrived in Római-fürdő. All the money we had left was taken away by the Arrow Cross there. Later we were assigned to companies. I was assigned to the one that was driven to the Óbuda brick factory. On the way those who were tired and those who lagged behind were urged to walk faster with kicking and hits of the rifle butt. When we arrived, we were squeezed into one of the buildings of the brick factory and the next day we left for Vörösvár. They kept a close watch on us so that we could not escape. Still, many fled and perhaps they succeeded: at least they had not been brought back to us. We spent the first night in Piliscsaba. Hungarian gendarmes squeezed 1500 people into small barracks there. Those who thought they could not fit in there were convinced with rifle butts that there was actually enough room in the barracks. Food was not distributed, so we ate what we had. The next day we were set off and we got a quarter of a loaf of bread. We were set off for Dorog. There we were driven onto a football field. It started to rain, so we got up from the ground, but the gendarmes beat us and forced us to lie in the mud. This is how we went to Hegyeshalom. There I received the Swiss Schutzpass, which was sent after me. I showed it to the gendarme, but instead of being released, I got slapped in the face. In Zürndorf the Germans took over us and put us into cattle cars. The Germans treated us better in every way than the Hungarian gendarmes did. We arrived in Buchenwald and spent three days there. Then we were taken to Sonnenfeld near Leipzig to the Hasag armament factory. Our job was to test V-1 barrels. After 10 days we were replaced and taken to Colditz. In Colditz we worked in a place that had been transformed from a porcelain factory into an armament factory. We worked from 6 am to 6 pm with a 30-minute lunch break. Roll call took place in the morning and in the evening; while lining up, we were beaten, pushed and shouted at. Our daily rations consisted of a quarter of a load of bread, a quarter of a kilogram of margarine and one litre (later six decilitres) of soup. The Lagerältester cut back even this. We were accommodated in large rooms and we could not wash ourselves. From here I was transported to Theresienstadt, to Garrison Hamburg. I was sick with diarrhoea for two weeks. I was still sick when the Russians liberated me; they finished my medical treatment. I came home with the third transport.
váltás magyarra